Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Long Distance


I was always of the opinion that long distance would not work unless both people knew that they were going to get married. I never thought that I would have a long distance relationship unless I was engaged or "close" to being engaged. However, I proved myself wrong.

When me and Betsy started our long distance relationship last September, I honestly did not know what the future would hold. I have had various relationships that did not work out so I was not expecting anything certain with Betsy. It wasn't that I did not have hope in us, but I just did not have expectations that we were for sure going to work out. My attitude was "lets see how this thing goes."

Fortunately, I decided to do a long distance relationship with Betsy. She makes me insanely and ridiculously happy. Whoever said that crushes don't exist past high school was dead wrong. I have a major crush on Betsy. Whoever said that you can't marry your best friend is also very wrong. I don't have to be fake around Betsy because she loves me for who I am, including my glaring weaknesses and failures. One of my favorite quotes of Betsy is "I love all that is Tod." (Sorry if this embarrasses you baby but that quote is PRICELESS).

These are some things that have helped us have a successful long distance relationship (in no particular order and certainly incomplete).......

1. Understand when the other is busy and don't annoy them with incessant texting or calling if they do not immediately respond. Drowning each other in neediness is poison to a long distance relationship.
2. Make it a priority to talk to each other every day. Even if you can't see each other, consistent communication is necessary.
3. See each other as often as possible. This lets each other know they you are a priority and that you are on the same page in terms of the commitment to the each other.
4. Tell each other how you feel about things. Honest and open communication fosters greater intimacy even if you are hundreds of miles away.
5. Tell each other that you love each other consistently. If you have not gotten to that stage yet, then tell each other how you feel about them.
6. Not being with each other should be extremely difficult. If being apart is easy, then the relationship will be shallow. If being apart feels like I am missing a big part of me, then I know that I really care about the relationship.
7. Find ways to do something extra for the other person like hand writing a letter and sending it in the mail (Everybody loves receiving letters in the mail).

2 comments:

Michelle said...

How did you get so smart at such a young age? ;) Sweet post Tod.

Brittany said...

So sweet! I hope I will be able to come to the weddng!